To report a sexual assault through Fort Meade's 24/7 Sexual Assault Hotlines,
call (U.S. Army) 443-845-0876 , (U.S. Air Force) 240-752-2773 or (U.S. Navy) 301-419-1936
Sexual assault is a crime.
Department of Defense defines sexual assault as intentional sexual contact, characterized by use of force, physical threat or abuse of authority, or when the victim does not or cannot consent. Consent should not be deemed or construed to mean the failure by the victim to offer physical resistance. Additionally, consent is not given when a person uses force, threat of force, coercion or when the victim is asleep, incapacitated or unconscious.
Sexual assault includes rape, non-consensual sodomy (oral or anal sex), indecent assault (e.g., unwanted and inappropriate sexual contact or fondling) or attempts to commit these acts. Sexual assault can occur without regard to gender, spousal relationship or age of victim.
Call 443-845-0876 to report a sexual assault through Fort Meade's 24/7 Sexual Assault Hotline.
I have been sexually assaulted. What should I do?
- Go to a safe location away from the attacker.
- Contact your local sexual assault response coordinator, victim advocate or healthcare provider. You also may contact your chain of command or law enforcement (military or civilian), however if you do, an investigation will be initiated through the appropriate Criminal Investigative Service or local law enforcement agency.
- Seek medical care as soon as possible. Even if you do not have any visible physical injuries, you may be at risk of becoming pregnant or acquiring a sexually transmitted disease. Ask the healthcare provider to conduct a sexual assault forensic examination to preserve forensic evidence. If you suspect you had been drugged, request that a urine sample be collected.
- Preserve all evidence of the assault. Do not bathe, wash your hands, eat or drink or brush your teeth. Do not clean or straighten up the crime scene.
- Write down, tape or record by any other means all the details you can recall about the assault and your assailant.