......Changes to DEERS/RAPIDS automation system, sponsors will no longer have the ability to update personnel records at RAPIDS ID sites......

ID Card Section

2234 Huber Road
Main office: 301-677-9586
Current wait times: 301-677-3342

This email address is available to the public for general questions.
Due to the high volume of emails, the average response time is 48 to 72 hours.


Service by appointment with limited walk-in ability. Military in uniform have priority:  0730-0900. To schedule an apointment visit: https://rapids-appointments.dmdc.osd.mil

Phone:  (301) 677-3342 for assistance if needed.

**DMDC is implementing new beta software to the existing DEERS/RAPIDS automation system.  The software will drastically change Verifying Officials (VOs) and Site Security Managers (SSMs) ability to update personnel information within the DEERS/RAPIDS automation system.** Click here for details.


Hours of operation

  • Monday through Friday: 7:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. (Walk-ins 7:30 a.m. to 9:00 a.m., after that appointments only)
  • Closed Last Wednesday of each month for training from 7:30 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.
  • Active duty service members in uniform without family members: Priority from 7:30 a.m. to 9:00 a.m. from Mondays through Fridays

The ID Card Section is a by appointment facility, with limited walk-ins.

The ID Card section is closed on federal holidays and on the last Wednesday of each month from 7:30 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.


Appointments are for all personnel who are entitled to receive a Common Access Card or military ID card. Please note the appointment system is operated through a DMDC website. Please, only one appointment per family. A valid email address is necessary to make an appointment. You will receive a confirmation of your appointment. Please bring that confirmation number and all other required documents to your appointment.

Additional resources

Important notes

The sponsor must be present when a family member is renewing, and/or replacing a family member ID card. There are only two exceptions to this rule:

  • Effective 3 September 2013 the RAPIDS System has been updated to add and issue ID cards for the same-sex marriage.
  • The family member has an unexpired General Power of Attorney.
  • The family member has a completed DD Form 1172 generated by a military ID card site; it must be the original printed form. If the DD Form 1172 is generated at a location other than the Fort Meade ID Card Section, it can be faxed directly to Fort Meade at 301-677-9265. The faxed copy will be treated as an original document and the family member can receive service. The sponsor must call and verify the receipt of the document at 301- 677-3342.

Personnel who can not be cross-serviced

  • Initial verification for DoD beneficiary, abused dependents, unremarried or unmarried former spouses
  • Individuals who require a dependency determination (over 50 percent support), i.e., incapacitated children, wards, parents, parents-in-law
  • Retirees, former members, DoD contractors, military affiliates (formerly foreign military), including foreign affiliate civilian, and foreign affiliate contractor personnel not currently enrolled in DEERS
  • Illegitimate child of a male sponsor, when paternity has not been judicially determined by a court or acknowledgement of paternity, or illegitimate child of sponsor's spouse, when the sponsor is a member of another service
  • Navy and Marine Corps dependents residing in the Philippines

Acceptable forms of primary photo ID (All documents must be unexpired)

  • Military ID
  • Driver's license (license with following statement "Not for Federal Indentification Use" is not acceptable)
  • Passport
  • State, federal or local government ID card provided it contains a photograph and information such as name, date of birth, gender, height, eye color, address and an identification number ("Not for Federal Identification Use") (Badges are not accepted)

    All identification documents must be originals or court certified copies. There are no exceptions.

Acceptable forms of secondary ID (All documents must be unexpired)

  • Social Security card
  • Birth certificate must have a file number (if not original must be court notarized copy)
  • Voter's registration card
  • Permanent resident card
  • School ID with photo (For students only and must be current)
  • INS Form 1-151 or 1-551
  • Foreign national ID with picture

Requirements for service members to receive a Common Access Card

  • Two forms of valid ID
  • Extension order (if applicable)
  • Reenlistment documents (if applicable)
  • Name change; Approval memorandum
  • Grade change; Promotion order

Requirements for DoD civilian and civilian contract employees to receive a Common Access Card

  • Two forms of valid ID
  • A government email address or work email address

Requirements for lost or stolen Common Access Card

  • Two forms of valid ID and police report, counseling statement for service members from Directorate of Emergency Services
  • Federal employees (including contractors) must provide a letter from their CAC sponsor confirming the CAC was lost or stolen. The memorandum must have the agency's letterhead, full name, approximate lost date, circumstances and signature block. All customers must provide a police report or a letter from the CAC sponsor confirming the CAC was lost or stolen.

Requirements for lost or stolen ID cards for family members and retirees

  • Two forms of valid ID (Adults only)
  • Sponsor must fill out lost or stolen dependant ID memorandum provided by the ID card office.

Reserve/National Guardsmen (Prior service) who are drilling

  • Two forms of ID
  • Email address

Individual Ready Reserve

  • Two forms of ID
  • DD Form 214

100% disabled Army veteran

  • Two forms of ID
  • DD Form 214
  • Social Security card (No exception)
  • An official letter from the Department of Veterans Affairs. The letter will indicate 100% disability and Commissary, Exchange and DFMWR privileges. This letter must be brought to the ID Card Section. The letter must state whether the disabled veteran is scheduled for future exams.
  • If enrolling a spouse or child, please bring Social Security cards, birth certificates, marriage license and driver's license. These documents are required; there are no exceptions.

Child under 21 years old (Renewal)

  • Children must be 10 years of age to be issued an identification card with the exception of dual military and single military service members' children (Card can be renewed within 90 days of expiration).
  • Two forms of ID are required.

College Students Full Time ( 20 - 23 years old)

  • Must provide a letter from the registar's office with the expected graduation date. The following statement must be in the DD Form 1172-2: "(Name) is a fulltime student at an accredited institution and I the sponsor provides over 50% monetary support."
  • Two forms of ID are required.

Initial enrollment

  • New spouse
    • Photo ID and Social Security card (There are no exceptions.)
    • Original/court certified copy of marriage certificate with seal
    • Sponsor's divorce decree (if applicable)
  • Children (General Power of Attorney is required if the sponsor is not present.)
    • Newborns within 90 days of birth:
      • Verification of birth documentation
    • Newborns 90 days after birth
      • Original Social Security card
      • Original birth certificate
    • Stepchildren
      • Original with seal/court certified copy marriage certificate
      • Original birth certificate
      • Social Security card
      • Photo ID and Social Security card (21 years and older)
    • Children out of wedlock must present a court-ordered paternity test signed by a judge establishing paternity, or an original (can be a certified court copy) acknowledgement of paternity from the state where the child resides.
      • The sponsor must be Army. The ID Card Section is unable to process initial identification cards for other branches of service.


  • AFI 36-3026_IP
  • By order of the secretaries of the Air Force, the Army, the Navy, the Marine Corps, Homeland Security, Commerce, Health and Human Services
  • Air Force Instruction 36-3026_Ip, Volume 1;
  • Army Regulation 600-8-14; BUPERS Instruction 1750.10c; Marine Corps Order 5512.11d; Commandant Instruction M5512.1a; NOAA Corps Directives, Chapter 1, Part 5; Commissioned Corps Manual 29.2; Instructions 1 and 2 17 June 2009 Personnel Identification Cards for Members of the Uniformed Services, Their Eligible Family Members, and Other Eligible Personnel

See something suspicious?


Connect with us