Motorcycle Safety Training

Quick navigation

Frequently asked questions about motorcycle safety training

Who may attend motorcycle safety training at Fort George G. Meade?

Training is open to active duty, Active Army Reserve, and Active Army National Guard. Additionally, any military personnel assigned to Fort Meade may attend.

What is the Basic Rider Course?

The BRC is designed for beginner students and those who have been riding with a learners permit and have some riding experience, and would like to obtain additional basic riding skills in a secure environment away from traffic and other distractions. The program consists of classroom and hands-on motorcycle training.

What is the Experienced Rider Course?

The Experienced Rider Course is designed for a licensed experienced rider who has attended the BRC and wants to sharpen his or her skills and operate a motorcycle. This training is required within 1 year of completing the BRC course. Additionally, this course will be used as sustainment training within 5 years of prior ERC.

What is the Military Sport Bike Rider Course?

The Military Sport Bike Rider Course is a next-level training course designed specifically for experienced motorcyclists that ride sport bikes and have completed either the experienced or basic rider courses. The MSRC is mandatory for licensed military sport bike riders.

What paperwork do I need to register and attend the motorcycle training?

For BRC, a valid driver's license with motorcycle endorsement, proof of insurance and registration are required. For ERC, students must bring a valid driver's license with motorcycle endorsement, proof of insurance and registration. For MSRC, students must have a valid driver's license with motorcycle endorsement, proof of insurance, registration and BRC or ERC card. All students must bring a copy of the email registration confirmation, which was sent automatically by AIRS, to be presented at the gate.

Who teaches the Fort Meade motorcycle safety training courses?

All courses are taught by knowledgeable rider coaches who are certified by the Motorcycle Safety Foundation and are contract employees of Cape Fox Government Services.

Do you provide riding gear and personal protective equipment?

We have a limited amount of varying size helmets. Students must bring their own PPE, protective head gear (DOT approved helmet with face shield or goggles), long fingered gloves, hard-soled shoes that cover the ankle, a long sleeved shirt or medium weight jacket, and long trousers. High visibility garments (bright color for day and retro-reflective for night are encouraged).

Is there a test?

Yes, you must pass a written and motorcycle skills test for the BRC. A written test must be passed for the MSRC, and you must demonstrate satisfactory skill levels for the ERC.

I have a BRC card. Do I have to attend the ERC class? I have an ERC card. Do I have to attend the BRC class?

The BRC is the starting point. All military personnel must take the ERC or MSRC (depending on the type of bike) within one year of completing the BRC. Riders are encouraged to take the ERC course within 60 days of completing BRC. It is mandatory to re-take the ERC and MSRC every five (5) years.

Can I borrow a friend's motorcycle?

Yes, the motorcycle must be street legal. You must have proof of insurance and registration. For the BRC a maximum of 500cc is required for new unlicensed riders.

I ride a moped or scooter. Do I need a motorcycle license and a MSF course?

Mopeds and scooters fall under the same regulations as motorcycles. You must complete an Army-approved motorcycle safety course to ride on post. A Class M motorcycle license is not required. However, each individual operating a moped or a motor scooter on any roadway in Maryland must have a driver license of some class issued in Maryland or from his or her state of residency. A moped operator's permit issued to the individual is also valid. The MVA will not issue a moped operator's permit to any individual whose driver's license is suspended or revoked. Contact the Maryland DMV for additional information. If your scooter has an engine of more than 50cc, it is considered a motorcycle by MD Laws and Army Regulations.

Can I get my motor scooter titled and registered at the Maryland DMV?

Motor scooters must be insured and registered in Maryland. You will be given a sticker for the rear fender to prove registration. However, motor-scooters over 50cc built for road use may be titled, insured, and registered as a motorcycle.

Where can I find additional information, regulations and guidance on motor vehicle, motorcycle, pedestrian and bicycle safety?

Connect with us

Need assistance?

See something suspicious?