Staff Judge Advocate, Claims Division

4217 Morrison St.
Fort Meade, MD 20755
Directions to our office

Fax: (301) 677-9758

Hours of operation

Our hours of operation are from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Thursday, and on Fridays we are open from 8 a.m. to 12 p.m. We are closed daily for lunch from 12 - 1 p.m. If you are filing a notice of loss or need general information about a potential claim, then we can serve you on a walk-in basis.  However, if you are actually filing a claim, then you will need to call our office and schedule an appointment.  


Pursuant to Army Regulation 27-20, the mission of the Fort Meade Claims Division is to process, investigate, adjudicate and negotiate the settlement of non-contractual claims on behalf of and against the Army filed at Fort Meade.  As shown below, these types of claims include personnel claims, tort claims, affirmative claims and Article 139 Claims.

If you are unsure whether your claim can be processed by this office, feel free to contact us at either 301-677-9898.  Please remember that we cannot assist anyone in filing a claim against the government, but we can give you the necessary forms to fill out.

"Golden Rules" of claims

While there are a series of regulations and requirements associated with the claims process, just remembering a handful of simple rules can prevent someone from making a critical mistake. Please click here for more information.

The four most common types of claims filed with this office are the following

A common source of confusion for our clients relates to the differences involved with the various types of claims.  This confusion is understandable, especially since most people are unfamiliar with the claims process.  Below, we’ve provided summaries over the four most common types of claims.  For more information over each type of claim, simply click on the appropriate link.

  • Personnel Claims: These are administrative claims by military personnel and Department of the Army civilians for losses incident to service.  Personnel claims include claims for damage to household goods during a PCS move, POV transportation damage, on-post POV theft, vandalism, on-post quarters damage, and other unusual occurrences.  For more information about personnel claims, please click here.


Questions about PCS Claims? Check out our video explaining the PCS Claims Process.


  • Tort Claims: These are administrative claims made by anyone against the United States Government for loss or damage caused by a government employee acting in the scope of their employment. These claims can be filed under either the Federal Tort Claims Act or the Military Claims Act. Please click here for more information about tort claims or here for the SF 91 (Motor vehicle accident report) or here for the SF 95 (Claim for damage, injury or death).
  • Affirmative Claims: Pursuant to the Federal Medical Care Recovery Act, these are claims brought against third parties who have injured military personnel and/or their dependents due to their negligence.  The purpose of these claims is to help the Government recover the cost of the medical treatments provided to Soldiers or their dependents at either a medical treatment facility or a civilian hospital using TRICARE.  For more information about affirmative claims, please click here.
  • Article 139 Claims: These are administrative claims made against military personnel for the loss of, or damage to, real or personal property that was willfully damaged or wrongfully taken.  All claims under this chapter must be presented to an Army claims office within 90 days of the incident. Please note that many types of claims—such as subrogated claims, debt collection, or death or personal injury—are not covered by Article 139. For more information about Article 139 claims, please click here.

Protecting yourself during during a PCS move

Conducting a PCS move can be stressful, hectic and even exhausting. But it can—and should—be conducted properly. By taking a series of steps and precautions, Soldiers can help protect themselves during a PCS move. Please click here for more information.

POVs and electronic items

Claims involving electronic items or a shipped POV can be tricky. Understandably, many of our clients are unfamiliar with the additional issues involved with filing these types of claims. For example, certain types of damage to an electronic item should be filed as an "unusual occurrence," while other types of damage to an electronic item should be filed as a standard household good claim. Additionally, before even starting the claims process, people who are shipping or storing their POV's or electronic items should take several preventive actions on their own behalf.

Our office has prepared two information papers that further explain some of the issues associated with these types of claims. For more information over claims related to shipped POV's, please click here. For more information over claims related to electronic items, please click here.

Other useful links

For some additional links to claims resources, please click here.


Connect with us

Need assistance?

See something suspicious?