Staff Judge Advocate, Legal Assistance Division
4217 Roberts Ave.
Fort Meade, MD 20755
(301) 677-9536 or (301) 677-9504
Fax: (301) 677-9686
We provide direct, confidential legal services to clients authorized in Army Regulation 27-3. These services include advice and assistance on legal separations and other family law matters, including wills and estate planning, landlord tenant problems, debt disputes, contracts, and other issues authorized under the regulation.
o Attorney consultations are by appointment only
o All clients must show valid military ID cards
o Fort Meade's legal assistance branch can not serve both parties in a conflict
- Members of the uniformed services of the United States and their family members
- Retired military personnel and their family members
- Survivors of members of the uniformed services who would be eligible if the service member were alive.
- Reserve Component personnel on active duty for thirty days or more are also entitled to legal assistance.
- The clock is ticking, so if you don’t do anything else while you’re here at Fort Meade, you need to stop by our office and have a Will drawn up. The Legal Assistance Office will draw up a Will for you and your spouse. Everyone needs to take care of their loved ones, as well as the estate they have worked so hard for; having a will can keep the state from making decisions in your absence.
- To have a Will prepared, you must go by the Legal Assistance Office and pick-up a Will Work Sheet. While you are at the Legal Assistance Office, you need to ask what your options are so you can be seen by an attorney.
- Click here for a Will worksheet.
- Dual Representation Letter
- Information papers:
- Family matters such as separation, divorce, child custody and support, etc. are serious legal concerns that do, in most instances, require advice and counsel from an attorney.
- At Legal Assistance, our attorney's can give you advice for such matters; however, we can not represent you in court. Please contact our office for an appointment to see an attorney.
- The Legal Assistance Office has paralegals that will draft Powers of Attorney to address each customer’s unique legal needs. If you need a Power of Attorney you may obtain one simply by coming into our office anytime during our normal business hours.
- We also offer notary services as a walk-in service during normal business hours. The one thing you should remember is that a notary is there to verify your signature, so do not sign any documents that need to be notarized until you are in front of a the notary.
- Information paper: Powers of Attorney
- Landlord / tenant disputes and many other financial problems can be discussed with any one of our attorneys. Please call to make an appointment.
- Information Papers:
- Contract and payment disputes, bankruptcy, repossessions, and many other financial problems can be discussed with any one of our attorneys. Please call to make an appointment.
- Information Papers:
- Identity theft
- Servicemembers Civil Relief Act
- Good credit card usage
- 3-day cooling off period and automobile purchases
- Motor Vehicle Lemon Laws
- Credit score information
- Credit card protections
- Credit reports (Part 1)
- Credit reports (Part 2)
- General information on telemarketers
- Blocking telemarketers
- Tax-free college savings
- Internet auctions
- Residency and domicile can be confusing concepts for active duty military and their family members who frequently move.
- Military Spouses Residency Act
- Domicile and Military Spouse Protection Act Implications
- Maryland has special rules with regards to military spouse residency and tax liability. For more information, please see the Maryland Income Tax Administrative Release 1 (please click )
- If you are an eligible military spouse and want to apply to your employer for an exemption from Maryland tax withholding: MW507 Form and the MW507M Form instructions
- Please refer to the information links provided above and contact Legal Assistance if you need to speak with an attorney.
Tax Assistance Center
The tax assistance center provides free tax assistance, preparation and filing for authorized customers. This free service is available to all active-duty, retirees and family members in the Fort Meade area.
Click here for more information.