Fort Meade Tax Assistance Center
4217 Roberts Ave.
Fort Meade, MD 20755
Hours of operations
Monday - Friday 8 a.m. to noon and 1 to 4 p.m. (Open during the last week in January through April 15.)
Appointments are made on a case by case basis, using the normal Legal Assistance scheduling process, when the Tax Assistance Center is closed for the season.
- We provide free tax assistance, preparation and filing for authorized customers.
- This free service is available to all active-duty, retirees and family members in the Fort Meade area.
- Tax returns are prepared by appointment only.
- The office is staffed by volunteers.
- We operate under the IRS Volunteer Information Tax Assistance Program.
- Some returns may not be able to be prepared at the Tax Center based on:
- VITA program rules
- Availabilty of volunteers
- An initial pre-screening will determine if we're able to help you.
- If you’re interested in volunteering, please contact Mrs. Shaida Farid
Items to bring to your appointment
- Proof of identification
- Social Security Cards for you, your spouse and dependents and/or a Social Security
- Number verification letter issued by the Social Security Administration
- Birth dates for you, your spouse and dependents on the tax return
- A copy of last year’s Federal and State returns
- Bring copies (ALONG WITH ORIGINALS) of all supporting documents for tax return
- Current year’s tax package if you received one
- Wage and earning statement(s) Form W-2, W-2G, 1099-R, from all employers, gambling winnings, etc.
- Form 1098 for mortgage statement or similar document(s) for any houses, condos or land you owned, or a 1098-T Tuition statement
- Information regarding any rental properties you owned (if you owned more than one, they cannot be owned purely as investment properties for us to prepare and file your return)
- Interest and dividend statements from banks, unemployment compensation, Social Security, pensions, annuities and cancelled debts (Forms 1099)
- Receipts for all tax-deductable donations
- Bank Routing Numbers and Account Numbers for Direct Deposit of Anticipated Tax Refunds or Direct Debit of Taxes Owed
- Total paid for day care provider and the day care provider's tax identifying number (the provider's Social Security Number or the provider's business Employer Identification Number)
- To file taxes electronically on a married filing joint tax return, both spouses must be present to sign the required forms. We will not authorize one spouse to prepare the return and bring it home for the spouse to review and sign. Spouses may come in separately to review the return but the joint return cannot be filed until both spouses review and approve the return in person.
- If only one spouse is able to be present, the absent spouse must fill out an IRS Form 2848
- An IRS intake sheet will need to be filled out at the time of your appointment. Feel free to stop by the office to pick one up ahead of time
Tax Returns that we cannot prepare for clients include:
- Self-employment other than family care providers
- Clients who own more than one rental property
- Early Roth Distributions
- More than 10 transactions of stocks or bonds
- Cancellation of debt